Doug Tallamy, an Eye-Opener

I just read this amazing blog post from Kathy at The Violet Fern. She is an amazing gardener, artist and her blog is one I read weekly! I believe in connecting our gardens and she wrote this on her site

“Doug instilled us with the idea of a “homegrown national park.” The idea is to heavily plant all our gardens – connecting us all – leaving grass or lawn areas only as means to arrive at a destination, i.e. a grassy path to your shed or vegetable garden, or a patch to hold your BBQ. If we all planted this way we could create a National Park – a living landscape – bigger than Yellowstone and the Adirondacks and a host of others combined! Me, I am going to strive to serve up 500 caterpillars a day!”

I love the idea that lawns should connect us to things not be our entire yard!!!! I had to reblog this information so others would be able to read this great information on an “Eye-Opener” that Kathy wrote-thank you Kathy:-)

I have a better appreciation for my HUGE ” pin oak” that covers my entire front yard after reading Kathy’s post!!!

Add Kathy’s blog to your list-it will be worth the read every week!!!! + she is a pretty nice person,too!

The Violet Fern

On Thursday, October 2nd, I was treated to a lecture by Doug Tallamy at the Finger Lakes Community College. It was quite a drive and I probably wouldn’t have made the trip but my teacher, mentor, and horticulturalist at the Cornell Cooperative Extension here in Jefferson County arranged a field trip for us to attend. It was myself, her, and a couple of other Master Gardeners. And I probably wouldn’t have heard about this event if not for subscribing to the wonderful Wild Ones Chapter of CNY in Syracuse’s invaluable newsletter each month, whose president, Janet Allen, also happened to be there. So, I have many people to thank for giving me the gift of this opportunity. We all purchased his books. I already owned “Bringing Nature Home,” but was looking forward to purchasing Doug’s new book “The Living Landscape.” I am now the proud owner of a signed copy.

image

Oh…

View original post 1,540 more words

13 Comments Add yours

1. Crooked Tracks says:

I am sure those books have lots of inspiration in them and wow, to have an autographed copy!

1. Robbie says:

She mentioned on my last post( my rant about lawn chemicals-lol), she was writing a post about the lecture she attended. WOW-pretty amazing information…I have a deeper appreciation for my “pin oak” on my property after reading her post:-)

1. Kathy Sturr says:

Robbie I LOVE my Pin Oak. It has grown a great deal and I expect acorns soon – another life giver. The Oaks support so many insects, too. I want to see a picture of your Oak now! Does yours have acorns?

Liked by 1 person

2. Robbie says:

Okay, I’ll get a picture tomorrow for it is dark here now and post it in here on your reblog– I am a proud owner of a pin oak!!!Do I have acorns-lol…they are every where- CRUNCH!:-)It took 6 men to prune her last fall + about a half day! If she fell on my house, well there would be no me-lol..She has a thick round trunk which has this lovely texture, she is a very healthy tree. I am so proud of my pin oak now!! thank you Kathy:-)

3. Robbie says:

I have fallen in love with my pin oak-lol!!

Liked by 1 person

2. Kathy Sturr says:

Robbie you are too kind! I am glad you enjoyed this post and I highly recommend Doug Tallamy’s books and lectures to you and your readers if given the chance!

1. Robbie says:

Kathy…I HAVE to read this book..he is saying everything, I believe in + I am so glad you shared this. I have a huge pin oak in my front yard. It is older than my house! We have to prune it late in October, almost winter for that is when you do it. Our pin oak covers the width of my house and is right next to my bedroom.
      Yesterday, I was outside and swarms of birds flying all over this tree , squirrels for it is a massive tree. It drops it’s leaves and they are a project every weekend till the snow flies!…after reading your “great post” I learned how important this pin oak is, I feel so blessed to have one on my property!
      What an eye opener for me + also a resource to keep on doing what we are all doing.
      Great post! I had to share your great post, blog and a message that needs to get out—thank you!!!!

3. Another interesting and unusual post, Robbie. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

1. Robbie says:

Well, Cynthia this is Kathy’s post( I can’t take credit for the great info-lol) + if you get a chance, check her blog out she is an amazing gardener + artist:-) I read his first book many years ago but have not read the new one. She attended his lecture and wrote this great post about her experience. She inspires me in her garden named after her grandmother-The Violet Fern..isn’t that an amazing name! priceless:-)

Liked by 1 person

2. Robbie says:

Kathy’s blog named after her grandmother…thought you might find that interesting:-)

Liked by 1 person

1. How thoughtful to do so.
        I have visited her blog and jsut started following.
        And I read her “About” — and learned that from her area, she really can see Canada across the river!

Thanks, Robbie.

Best,
        Cynthia.

Liked by 1 person

2. Robbie says:

lol:-) at least it is not Alaska-tee hee:-)

4. Eliza Waters says:

I ended up following her blog – thanks for pointing it out to us!

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Palm Rae Urban Potager wrote: