Sustainable gardens utilize flowers that tolerate drought and attract beneficals…Cosmos is the workhorse of our own city lot!

July 26 cosmos dwarf 013

I tried several varieties of dwarf cosmos in 2012 + 2013  that I purchased from different seed sources. I mixed some and mingled them throughout the yard. This variety blooms continuously in 100 plus weather. It does not seem to be bothered by the drought. However, this year I grew them out, and they were a bit shorter which meant they went to seed sooner. I prefer the taller dwarf I grew in 2012.

July 30th cosmos, tomato, gardens 013

Cosmos Sulphurous look fantastic with old-fashioned vining petunia. They just seem to hang together in the air…

July 30th cosmos, tomato, gardens 002

This dwarf variety stands tall about 16-20inches and does not droop or get spindly as some cosmos do after they bloom.

July 26 cosmos dwarf 024

They surround my old fashioned dahlia which keeps it from flopping over. They also look pretty darn smashing together!

July 30th cosmos, tomato, gardens 022

Here, they are next to a Rudbeckia, and this is one they claim is about as close to red in a cosmos you will get. They compliment anything you put them next to in the garden.

July 30th cosmos, tomato, gardens 026

They are like snowflakes in summer each one is a bit different…some have mixed colors in their petals.

July 30th cosmos bee moth beneficial insects 025

Bees love cosmos
Do not forget to collect your cosmos seed each season and save for next year plantings.
They will self-sow everywhere if you do not collect seed…I never mind they are always welcome in our garden.
2012 Gold Medal Award in Palm Rae Potager goes to Dwarf Cosmos and again in 2013!!!

16 Comments Add yours

1. I do love dwarf cosmos. Mine are all in shades of pink , I’ve not seen yellow ones before.

I’m not able to see the photos on your blog (tried Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers), but I am able to right click and open them at the source. Your photos are gorgeous!

1. Robbie says:

I like the pink ones, too! I’ll check about the photos and see if it is my blog- well, I just checked and I have to reload my pictures, thank you for letting me know!
      I need to skip over to visit your blog, you were a way for a bit I missed reading your blog:-)

1. I can see them now 🙂

2. Robbie says:

I noticed when I looked at my blog on my kindle fire they were not there-lol..so I thank you for telling me!:-)

2. Kathy Sturr says:

Beautiful Cosmos! Love the orange. We had our first frost here and all my Marigolds are weeping – it’s sad. I hope to get some good clean up in this weekend. Already thinking about next year – I should plant these! They would look great with Borage.

1. Robbie says:

They are lovely and you are right they would look beautiful with borage! I love the combination of purple and gold:-) I can relate to everything “weeping” and falling to the ground. It is starting here this week. Our mums are still holding on and add some food for the bees..winter is around the corner….

3. We will certainly be planting some cosmos, they are so pretty and beneficial to the supporting of nature in the garden.

1. Robbie says:

I have some planted by the road near our house an entire bed and all my neighbors stop by to collect seed for their yard at the end of the season. I love to share seed and encourage others to feed pollinators. The bees are humming around these all summer! I even have new types of bees I’ve never seen before on our city lot due to planting bee friendly plants and the cosmos is the star in that arena!:-)

4. Lrong says:

Lovely pics, Robbie…

1. Robbie says:

5. nemogreen says:

Very pretty and again something new that I am learning from your beautiful blog Robbie. I had never heard of cosmos!

1. Robbie says:

I know I had not until a friend told me about them years ago. I never noticed them in gardens when i was growing up, but they are so easy to grow and the bees just love them. You will love them on your roof top garden. They even have dwarf that would work in your garden:-)

1. nemogreen says:

Thanks Robbie , I will look into it.

6. babsje says:

Congrats on your Blog of the Year award nomination! Learn more, click here:
    Best, Babsje

1. Robbie says:

Congrats on your award! Your pictures are amazing and I have leared a lot about Herons( other stuff,too) from reading all your posts. Thank you for considering my blog on your list:-) Your pictures and posts always brighten my days….your witty stories about the heron are a delight to read…and your photos are AMAZING!!! I send your blog to friends of mine that enjoy birds along the waters, no one captures them better than you:-)

1. babsje says:

You’re very welcome, your award is well deseved, and thanks so much for your kind words? I’m so glad to have met you through our blogs!